"NCIS: LA" producer talks tech Video
"NCIS: LA" producer talks tech Video Transcript
It had to be, you know, on the cutting edge of technology. And this show actually did a number of firsts. We are the first scripted drama to actually sign a contract with a defense contractor, Lockheed Martin, who are our partners in crime on this. We also were the first scripted drama to sign a contract with Perceptive Pixel, who make that fabulous touch screen. It had been used on CNN but they'd never released it for years on a scripted drama. And we signed a third contract with a company called Pictometry, who, it's kind of Google on steroids. They do some remarkable things. Pictometry is a software company that supplies software to police departments and fire departments across the nation. So we started with the intention of making this as real as we possibly could. And 75% of what you see on television on this show is real technology. The other 25% is technology that's in development and, you know, we have been in a situation where, with Lockheed Martin in particular, where we've got access to some of the software that they've been developing. And in fact, we were working on 1 show, and they phoned us and said, you know, that thing you were going to use on your show? It's now classified. So, and I said, what, you mean we can't use it? And they said, no, just change the name. So, we really go out of our way to actually use technology that's cutting edge and it's kinda scary. When you look at our show, you think, that couldn't happen. Kaleidoscope, they can enter the color of a car, you know, like it's a blue truck and it's got a white container on the back. And you enter that into the computer, and all of the cameras, the traffic cameras, security cameras all around Los Angeles or New York City or wherever, the software will access all of those cameras and try and find that truck. Yes, they can do that. Yes, they do do that. So for anyone out there who loves technology, we really are right there on the cutting edge of it. We have things in development this year that, I think, a lot of fans are gonna love.
Brian Cooley, CNET'S editor-at-large, interviews two experts from Lockheed Martin who work with "NCIS: LA" producers on the authenticity of the show's technology and programs.
Brian Cooley, CNET's editor-at-large, looks at the technology on the "NCIS: LA" set with actor and self-proclaimed tech geek Adam Jamal Craig.
Brian Tong gets a tour of the high-tech Jeopardy stage that premiered at CES 2009, and talks with Harry Friedman, the show's executive producer, about the technology on and off the stage.
Brian Tong catches up with Adam West and they talk tights, taffy, and the thrills of Comic-Con.
This week on the CNET Tech Review: Comic-Con mainstay Joss Whedon talks "The Avengers" and the future of Buffy; how to get more out of OS X Lion; and the best--and perhaps only--smartphone for Nextel that's worth buying.
On today's show, CNET reporter and 404 BFF Caroline McCarthy directs us in a live read-through of the actual script for the upcoming Facebook movie and also joins us in talking about 4Chan, Comic-Con, and this weekend's insane hailstorm.
Today's show welcomes Eric Franklin, host of the Inside CNET Labs Podcast, who comes on to talk about the new "Watchmen" Blu-ray/DVD. We also talk about Xbox Portable, Hoboken's newest mayor, Comic-Con, and, of course, Beck's Beer/Last.FM Audio Draft!
We invite Natali Del Conte onto today's show to have some fun with us, but you should've been there in the preshow--she went berzerko! We calm her down a little bit and she talks to us about her Palin/Twitter fallout and her upcoming appearance at Comic-Con 2009. She also dispels rumors about drugs in her undergarments, and we get to a few more exciting stories on the show!
Apparently you're a weirdo if you DON'T dress up at Comic-Con, so The 404 goes looking for recommendations from veteran cosplay characters on the show floor.
The great debate of Comic-Con 2011 is did DC Comics screw up by putting pants on Wonder Woman?